Critical challenges faced when scaling-up
Despite a good starting point and a scalable revenue model, many scaleups have difficulty sustaining their growth. Over time, about 2/3 of these scaleups lose their steep growth path or even start shrinking, as they struggle to scale persistently by driving and managing high growth.
Challenges that hinder scaleups to persistent scaling:
- Scarcity of leaders with the ability and skills to manage rapid growth
- Recruiting and developing specialized talent with the skills and mindset to thrive in a fast growing and changing organization
- Get more out of the core: maximizing and streamlining the current core business
- Developing the next phase of growth: new propositions and accessing new markets and customers to maintain growth momentum
- Professionalizing and ramping up various functional areas and specialized knowledge
- Attracting appropriate growth capital and a clear understanding of finance options
- Creating a collective growth ambition in an expanding company
Erasmus Scaling Programme is designed to educate ambitious scaleup-entrepreneurs to excel and sustain steep growth paths over time. The programme consists of a dynamic mix of practical and technical masterclasses, real-life business cases and workshops designed to address company-specific challenges and plan for improvement.
Erasmus Scaling Programme has been developed for ambitious scaleup-entrepreneurs, who want to continuously work on their personal- and business growth. The programme is tailored for scaleups that are currently growing fast and want to sustain this steep growth path over time.
This programme fits your business if:
- Your company has at least 25FTE and/or 2.5 million annual revenue
- Your company grows at least 20% in FTE and/or revenue per year
The course includes four interactive one-day modules with leading RSM professors and peer-learning based interactions. In between the modules mentored team assignments, resulting in a company-specific improvement and futureproof growth plan.
Facilitated by top academics and entrepreneurs
Top academics from Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and various entrepreneurs are brought together to lead this programme. During the tutorials, team coaches facilitate the exchange of feedback on parts of your growth plan.
Justin Jansen is professor of corporate entrepreneurship at RSM. His award-winning research and publications provide new perspectives into the roles of leadership, start-ups, organisational ambidexterity, corporate entrepreneurship, and new developments to improve long-term viability and performance. Justin is scientific director of the Erasmus Centre for Entrepreneurship, and is on the editorial board of several academic publications.
Tom J.M. Mom is a professor of Strategic Growth and Implementation in the department of Strategic Management & Entrepreneurship at RSM. His research interests include new business development & corporate growth, ambidexterity, strategic renewal, and strategy execution.
Ferdinand Jaspers is programme director at the Erasmus Centre for Entrepreneurship. His teaching and consultancy activities focus on innovation leadership. Based on his expertise at the intersection of strategy, innovation and entrepreneurship, he teaches courses, masterclasses and boot camps on corporate entrepreneurship, innovation excellence and entrepreneurial culture. He holds a PhD from RSM.